Thursday, December 1, 2011

2nd Opinion Dentist & Ablation

I brought Lil Brother to the 2nd pediatric dentist to get their opinion. They were able to do a full cleaning on him and get 5 x-rays too! I was impressed with the time they took with him and the gentleness with which they got him to cooperate. He had such a good time, he asked if he could go back again today! They have a gumball type machine filled with small trinkets and at the end of the visit they gave him a token to use to get his prize. That left quite an impression on him too. He was such a brave boy. The x-rays hurt and made him gag...his eyes were watering too. But after each one he let them do the next one. I counted them down for him...with tears in my eyes watching him. Such a brave boy!

They got the job. They said the same as the first dentist - he needs caps. They plan on putting 10 on - one on each molar and one on each of his two front teeth. The best part is that they are right next door to a big hospital so that's where the work will be done. They'll put him under for about an hour. I have to wait to find out how much the insurance is going to pay and how much I have to pay and then it will hopefully be able to be scheduled for January. I still have to figure the money part out, but am waiting to find out how much it is first.

Right after his early morning appointment, I rushed him up to daycare, dropped off my truck and got a ride down to my doctor appointment (from my auntie M.) an hour away. I had an ablation done on my uterus. Basically they knock you out, insert some machine thing into your uterus and burn off your flesh inside there. Sounds fun, doesn't it? Ya, it is as fun as it sounds. They strongly encouraged me to take a pain pill right away when I got home. I hate pain meds and can't really take them very well. They make me basically pass out for hours afterward. Which is what I did. I fell asleep with a heating pad on my lower belly for a few hours. I had to sleep on my side though because on my back I kept stopping breathing and would jerk awake. Not sure why...but I think it is from the pain meds...maybe a little too relaxed?

I came through it okay...I slept off and on for 18+ hours. I didn't go to work today either and slept in. I haven't taken any more pain meds since they make me feel so exhausted and weird. I've just been taking ibuprofen. I can feel little contraction-like feelings in my uterus...they said it might spasm from what they did. I can handle it though - the pain isn't bad...just a little annoying. I plan to go to work tomorrow.

The point of the procedure is to kill off the tissue that you get your period from. Since my periods were so heavy (like I thought more than once that I was hemorrhaging) and sometimes came twice a month, they had to do something. I'm not having any more kids, so this was an option for me. Going forward I should either not have a period or have a very light period. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

This weekend's goal: put up the tree and get family pictures done (by me).

2 comments:

  1. Glad you found a dentist you like and that he did well. I'm glad they will put him out for the work. I am regretting not doing that with Holly. She is now terrified of the dentist. We went yesterday for a cleaning. What a nightmare.

    Glad your procedure is done. Have a fun weekend.

    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad he liked the new dentist. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete