Thursday, November 10, 2011

Lil Bro's teeth

I wish I had been more proactive pushy with Lil Brother's dental care. I have been bringing him to the dentist since he was 2 but they have yet to clean his teeth or do x-rays. I noticed when his 2 year molars came in they looked funny - the enamel was different colors swirled in. That was why I brought him in the first time to see what was up with that. They said it was nothing to worry about. Well, those are the same teeth that I can now visually see holes/cavities in.

I brought him in again Wednesday. They confirmed that he has at least 3 big cavities and referred me to a pediatric dentist. The ped dentist was bothered that the first dentist had never cleaned or done x-rays on him before this. They have to start from scratch and figure out the best treatment. We go in next week with them. I'm scared for him. Depending on what they do, he might have to be sedated to do the work. He's not the best cooperator with the dentist which is part of the reason my first dentist didn't push it. But given his history of (most likely) no prenatal care and poor nutrition in the orphanage, I think they could have done better. The first dentist mentioned something about possibly restraining him. I'm like ya, right - over my dead body. Next dentist please and thankyouverymuch. Sheesh!

I hope I find out good news next week, but I know he'll need something done with them. Poor little guy.

1 comment:

  1. That's scarey. I'd switch dentists. I still drive back to Robbinsdale for my dental appointments because I really like my dentist. he's great with Michael. Carol F.

    ReplyDelete