Saturday, October 8, 2011

Sensory Integration

I made an appointment for Lil Brother at the International Adoption Clinic for yesterday. I was concerned about the face/head rubbing that has continued. I'm glad I brought him there. They asked a lot of questions about it and a lot of little things were brought up that one might not put all together as being caused by the same issue. He has a sensitivity to tags in clothing. I always remove them but even the printed ones (esp. the puffier ones) bother him. He has to have the seam in his socks just right or he says it hurts him. And when I think back, he used to do a lot of head rubbing when he first came out of the orphanage so maybe its more like that has returned. He also HATED walking in grass with bare feet and refused to do it at all until this year. They said he has a very mild sensory integration issue. Here is a good article on the basics of what that means from Parents.com.

They gave me some activities to do with him daily and said they expect he will stop with the head/face rubbing within a few weeks. I'm glad my mom suggested I get 2nd opinion. Lil Bro loved this little dinosaur they had in the hallway there. He named it Rex.


They think he also may have allergies. I thought that too. He rubs his eyes a lot and says they hurt. Some of the rubbing may be triggered by itching in his ears and nose too. We're going to try an allergy medicine as well.

Here's one more from our visit:

No comments:

Post a Comment