Sunday, October 16, 2011

Weekend recap

My aunt is here visiting from out of state. It has been a great time with her these past few days.


We took in an Elvis show Saturday evening. It was....entertaining. I'm pretty sure I was the youngest one there. There were actually 2 Elvises..or Elvi? One young one (the older one's son) and the older one. The young one sang the songs I like...early Elvis stuff. The older one wore the jumpsuits and sang the 70's Elvis stuff. They did really sound A LOT like him...but the looks...not so much. These are my aunts and mom with both of them.


Here's me with the King.


I had also planned to go to an apple orchard with a group of other adoptive families Saturday morning, but Lil Bro and Hollywood woke up feeling under the weather. Lil Bro's eye was crusted shut and he was coughing a lot. Hollywood had a sore throat and cold symptoms. They didn't want to get moving, so I called it off for our family. :(  I was hoping to buy some apples there for a recipe I was making the next day.

Sunday we had a lot of plans too. I started the day before 7:00 am to get food ready for a dinner at my mom's house with most of the family. We were hoping to go to a movie that afternoon as well. We also had to locate materials and build a shelter for the stray cat who showed up this past summer....and now had kittens on my front steps.

I made homemade scalloped potatoes. The recipe said it took 4-5 hours on high in the crock pot. They lied. It took more like 6-7 so that screwed up our potatoes for the dinner. Hate that. BUT the other dish I made was a huge hit. I bought some apples at the store Saturday to use - it says it's Apple Brown Betty...but it's different than what I've had before. IT WAS DELISH! This is what it looks like while cooking:


Hollywood made some Red Velvet cupcakes to bring along too.



After we all ate like pigs - a big ham dinner with potatoes, yams, corn, broccoli, buns, and who-knows-what-else, plus 5 different desserts we decided we were too full to go to the movies. I took a nap on my mom's love seat and my grandma fell asleep on her couch. I think my aunt slept in my mom's bed too. What a fun bunch we are!

The next thing on the list was making a shelter for the mama cat and her babies. They currently are residing in a cardboard box next to the door. Here's mama cat with her kittens in the background.


I found a shelter to make online...heated and insulated. I don't really have the money for it, but Hollywood agreed to work off half of it by taking over cleaning duties from my sister (my sister cleans to take $ off of rent for me). It is getting cold here and the last thing I want is for these kittens to freeze to death on my watch. Hollywood would be devastated. Bringing them in is not an option since Hollywood is allergic. We already have 4 cats in our basement (2 of ours from before we knew she was allergic and 2 of my sister's) so Hollywood can't go down there without getting sick already. Outside is not so bad for her. She takes an allergy pill and can then get by with being around the outside cat.

Here's the materials - the main thing is a 100+ quart cooler. They are not cheap:


And then you wreck it by making a 6" x 6" door for the cat in it. Hahaha. That gets covered up with a piece of carpet slit up the middle to keep the heat in.


You use a rope of lights for the heat source:


And here is the finished product:





We put the food inside just to lure the mama cat into it...the hope is that she'll like it in there and move her kittens in on her own. We'll see.

Tomorrow is going to be BUSY at work. We just got approval on a big project late Friday, so I'll be busy buying parts for it tomorrow. Yay! I like my job. I like being crazy busy too, so this should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment