Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Still waiting

I went in to the Dr. for a couple of procedures on Tuesday - one was a hysteroscopy (where they look inside of your uterus with a camera) and the other was a bladder test...I think it was called a cystometry test or something. All I know is I did the bladder test first...and they stuck a small catheter up there to fill it with water - and the whole test just was uncomfortable. I never would have signed up for that one had I known what was involved. After the doc came in and asked how the test went the nurse said, "She pees when she coughs." Well, no shit. I told them that all along. He did look at the computer print out of whatever it measured too so that made me feel a little better. At the end of that test you have to pee in a toilet/chair thing like they use for people that...I don't know. Old people or something. They were standing there waiting for me to go and I couldn't. They had to step out of the room and then I could go. Funny.

The important procedure...the uterus one was next. I've had it done once before a long time ago, so I knew it was better than that bladder test. It still hurts a bit when they pass the camera up through your cervix. But on to the results. I do not have a polyp. That is not good. In that case, the wall of my uterus is super thick...there can be sinister causes for that. My doctor took a biopsy to send off for testing to determine if it is caused by a precancerous condition, cancer, or a more benign cause. Pray that it comes back as NOT CANCER. I'm running on the assumption that it is NOT CANCER since that's the only way I can function without knowing at this point. One thing that worries me though is that for the last few years I've had abnormal pap smears. I go in every six months for them.

It sounds like no matter what, I will be looking at a hysterectomy in the near future. They will take my cervix too since that has the abnormal cells showing up on my paps. I'm sort of stuck between a rock and hard place (again, assuming it is NOT CANCER) because the symptom that I do have is LOTS of yucky bleeding (like to the point where I thought I was hemorrhaging last time) and I bleed in between periods as well, randomly. TMI? Sorry. I don't think I have any male readers though, so SO WHAT, WHO CARES? :) 

The treatment they were talking about trying would be an ablation - where they basically burn off the inner lining of the uterus so that you either get a very light period or none at all going forward. That is no longer an option since by doing that it would mask any future signs of uterine cancer. The cancer word was brought up way too many times in that visit. Needless to say I feel anxious and scared. I am waiting for the Dr. to call me with the results. He hoped to have them by Friday.

Please pray that there is no cancer. I have no history of cancer in my family on either side so I'm just hoping and praying that this is some other thing.

 

2 comments: